The purpose of this assignment is to provide the graduate nursing student opportunity to practice reading and critiquing research articles for application to an evidence-based practice.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Integrate evidence-based practice and research to support advancement of holistic nursing care in diverse healthcare settings. (PO 1)
- Integrate knowledge related to evidence-based practice and person-centered care to improve healthcare outcomes. (PO 1, 5)
- Develop knowledge related to research and evidence-based practice as a basis for designing and critiquing research studies. (PO 1, 5)
- Analyze research findings and evidence-based practice to advanced holistic nursing care initiatives that promote positive healthcare outcomes. (PO 1, 5)
Due Date: Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 4
Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment. Quizzes and discussions are not considered assi gnments and are not part of the late assignment policy.
Total Points Possible: 130 points
Directions and Assignment Criteria
Students will critique a research article in weeks 4, 5 & 6 (3 total) as follows:
Week 4: Non-research appraisal: Guidelines and Reviews
Week 5: Quantitative Methodology
Week 6: Qualitative Methodology
Each critique will require a two-three page written analysis of the article. The paper should include:
- Article topic/focus
- Aim of assignment
Critique of Article
The article critique should be a methodological review specific to type of article (for example, qualitative or quantitative) . The analysis must be two to three pages and detailed using the text and resources. The content of the review should also include:
- Ethical review
- Analysis of findings
- Application (translation) to practice specialty
- Future implications
In addition, students must complete the Johns Hopkins Research Appraisal Tool that is applicable to the type of study design (qualitative, quantitative or non-research evidence) for the week. Refer to the rubric for additional requirements.
Preparing the Assignment
Non-research appraisal: Guideline or Systematic Review
- Select a guideline or systematic review article from the Week 4 list.
- Write a two-three (2-3) page critique of the article in a Word Doc integrating your course readings. Be sure to include a citation for your article using APA format.
- Complete the Johns Hopkins Non-research evidence review document.
- Submit both through TurnItIn by Sunday 11:59pm MT of week 4
Format & Presentation Requirements
- APA Format According to the current edition
- Word Doc per assignment requirements.
- Word Doc Format: Cover page, no abstract, introduction (no heading per APA), body of the paper/review, reference list, appendix with Johns Hopkins appraisal doc. For review sections refer to your readings and the Johns Hopkins Research Appraisal Tool.
- Article title, author, journal, publication date
- Evidence level and quality
- Analysis of the study methodology (specific to study type, e.g., qualitative versus quantitative versus non-research)
- Reference list should include the chosen article and other resources used to construct the review, such as course textbook, Johns Hopkins Evidence Based Practice: Model and Guidelines, and How to Read a Paper by Greenhalgh (2014).
The article ” Health Care Experiences of Lesbian Women” by Snyder (2019) examined lesbians’ health care experiences. In particular, the article purports that lesbians women have had a negative experience with the health care system with discrimination cited as a key aspect. In this connection, this paper provides a critical review of the article by critiquing various aspects. Elements critiqued include ethical review, findings, limitation, discussion, application to practice as well as future implications….Click link below to purchase full tutorial at $10