Ageism and gender bias can affect who and how we ask about sexual health, sexual activity, and concerning symptoms. Depending on your own level of comfort and cultural norms this can be a tough conversation for some providers. But this is an important topic and as our videos discussed, women are wanting us to ask about sexual concerns. This week we also reviewed sexually transmitted diseases and the effects of ageism on time to diagnosis so it is necessary to ask these questions and provide good education for all patients. You will not know any needs unless you ask.
- Review the required NAMS videos. What was the most surprising thing you learned about in the videos? Explain why it was surprising.
- What is GSM? What body systems are involved? How does this affect a woman’s quality of life?
- What treatment does Dr Shapiro recommend?
- Review one aspect of treatment that Dr Shapiro recommends and include an EBP journal article or guideline recommendation in addition to referencing the video in your response.
Sexuality and the older adult
- What is your level of comfort in taking a complete sexual history? Is this comfort level different for male or female patients? If so, why?
- How will this information impact the way you will interact with your mature and elderly clients?
Review the required NAMS videos. What was the most surprising thing you learned about in the videos? Explain why it was surprising.
After reviewing the videos, the most surprising thing that I have learnt is that sexual dysfunctions in women are real conditions despite the fact that most healthcare organizations do not recognize that. Therefore, am surprised that despite being real conditions, most women are usually not willing or comfortable to talk about them. Taking this into account, it is with no doubt that through recognizing sexual dysfunctions as real issues, the quality of life of women can be enhanced to a huge extent. This is due to the fact that medical practitioners can ensure that positive outcomes of these conditions are enhanced.
What is GSM? What body systems are involved? How does this affect a woman’s quality of life?
..Please click the icon below to purchase full solution at $5