Choose two issues or challenges (highlighted) that the leaders of today’s health care organizations face. Select from among the following topics:
- Staff Shortage (Physicians, Nurses, Allied Health Providers, Ancillary Services)
- Reorganization in Response to Merger or Consolidation of Services
- Layoffs as a Result of Declining Revenues
- Influx of Registry, Part-Time, and Temporary Contract Staff
- Poor Performance Outcomes Leading to a Reduction in Medicare Reimbursement Dollars
- Poor Job Satisfaction Rates Resulting in Turnover
You are the manager of an ancillary service department at a large, 500+ bed hospital. Develop a proposal (750-1,200 words) that is directed toward your staff, in which you address the following:
- Inform the staff of the two issues (from the topics provided) your organization is facing.
- Describe the impact of these issues on your department.
- Describe how improved communication, collaboration, and teamwork can improve conditions in your department.
- Identify at least two examples from the required or recommended readings of techniques found to foster inclusion and improve communication and collaboration.
- A minimum of three academic references from credible sources are required for this assignment.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Challenges Faced by Today’s Healthcare Organizations
The American healthcare is currently faced by multidimensional challenges need to be effectively addressed before they bring forth adverse impacts to total health outcomes. It is evident that the challenges faced today influence the future performance and productivity of healthcare sector and have a considerable potential of constraining the accessibility to, affordability, and quality of healthcare services (Dillender, Heinrich, & Houseman, 2016). This paper seeks to identify and address challenges encountered by leaders within the healthcare sector, the impact of the challenges, a description of how improved communication, collaboration, and teamwork can enhance conditions in the department and techniques for improving communication, collaboration, and teamwork.
Identification of the Two Issues
It is crucial to understand that each healthcare organization encounters various challenges while performing the roles and responsibilities of delivering care services to their patients. Taking this into consideration, our organization is equally facing some challenges that have substantially affected service delivery to the patients, and the community. The two key challenges we face include staff shortage particularly nurses, and the influx of registry, part-time, and temporary contract staff.
Impact of the Issues
Nurse shortage has been on the rise over the past few years. Provision of care for admitted patients is a complex and dynamic initiative that demands a well-coordinated approach including teamwork and collaboration from multi-disciplinary professionals. Nurses are the primary caregivers to these patients as they routinely take care of the patients by preventing harm and ensuring their safety whilst in the healthcare facility. Nurse shortage has led to a rise in healthcare’s operational costs. The inability of healthcare leadership to manage patient overcrowding in the emergency unit due to nurse shortage pushes the healthcare to refer patients to other hospitals. Care delivery has been difficult as it is impossible for the healthcare facility to hospitalize and attend to all patients visiting the healthcare facility. In addition, nurse shortage has led to overworking of our few nurses who end up fatigued and unable to deliver care optimally. This has led to a delay in attending patients, decreased nurse, and patient satisfaction, and decreased health outcomes….Please click the icon below to purchase full solution at $5