Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 17 (section 17.4), 18 (section 18.3), 19 (sections 19.1, 19.2), 21 (sections 21.2, 21.4)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, pick two (2) of the following categories representing minority groups during 1880-1914:
- Women’s rights activists
- African Americans
- Immigrants from southern and eastern Europe
- Child workers
- Great Plain Indians
Then, address the following for your selections:
- Explain the socio-economic status and challenges of your minority groups at the turn of the century.
- How did the Industrial Revolution affect your chosen minority groups?
- Analyze how the Progressives brought reform to your selected minority groups. Do you find that the Progressives were successful in making government responsive and improve the conditions of your chosen minority group?
Compare your selections and analysis of selections with those of your peers. If they chose different groups, examine how yours are similar and/or different. If they chose the same groups, build on their posts by providing additional information about the groups that you have not already noted in your own post.
African Americans formed an ideal example of a category of a minority group that existed between the years 1880 and 1914. The socio-economic status of African Americans during this period was in very bad shape. Most of the members of this group were still suffering from the negative effects of slavery (Corbett et al., 2017). Worse still, they were still contending with the ills of systemic discrimination embedded in the system of governance in the US. Most of them lived in poor conditions and could not access vital services like healthcare. They were also very poor….Click link below to purchase full tutorial at $5