A baccalaureate nurse understands, relates, and values the fundamental elements of research, process, and designs as a foundation for an evidence-based practice (AACN, 2008; QSEN, 2018).
This assignment provides a learning activity for students to demonstrate understanding of quantitative and qualitative research, the purpose and importance of designs, and how research is critical for creating a credible evidence-based nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO 1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
CO 2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (PO 4 & 8)
CO 5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (PO 7 & 8)
Submit the completed Research Designs Assignment by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 5.
This assignment is worth 225 points.
Directions for Preparing the Scholarly Paper:
- Read each of these instructions.
- Read the assignment grading rubric criteria.
- This assignment is completed as an APA paper. APA resources can be found in your Resources Tab. You are required to complete the paper using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu(Links to an external site.) . Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
- You are required to use the grading rubric criteria to ensure you are meeting all grading requirements of the paper.
- The guideline below is a recommendedoutline only and does not substitute for your assignment grading rubric; your paper will be graded using the assignment grading rubric criteria.
- For the introduction paragraph section, summarize your learning using mostly your own words(see the grading rubric for details):
- The need for nursing research.
- The importance for nurses to understand the basic principles of research.
- The purpose of your paper.
- For the quantitative research section, summarize your learning using mostly your own words(see the grading rubric for details):
- The importance of quantitative research.
- One type of quantitative design; explain one important feature of this type of design.
- How quantitative research can help improve nursing practice.
- For the qualitative research section, your learning using mostly your own words(see the grading rubric for details):
- The importance of qualitative research.
- One type of qualitative design; explain one important feature of this type of design.
- How qualitative research can help improve nursing practice.
- For the research sampling section, your learning using mostly your own words(see the grading rubric for details):
- What is sampling and why is sampling important.
- One sampling strategy used in quantitative research.
- One other sampling strategy that you learned.
- For the credible nursing practice section, your learning using mostly your own words(see the grading rubric for details):
- How research can help to make nursing practice safer.
- Why research is critical for creating an evidence-based nursing practice.
- For the conclusion section, summarize your learning using mostly your own words (see the grading rubric for details):
- Short, concise, thorough summary of the main points of the paper.
- Double check your work with the grading rubric to ensure you have met all grading criteria for this assignment.
- Two or more supporting scholarly references are required. Textbooks are not allowedand should notbe used as a scholarly source. Use the Chamberlain Library to locate relevant, scholarly sources.
- No more than two direct quotes are allowed. You should be using mostly your own words to demonstrate your understanding of the topics/criteria for this assignment. Citations and references must be included.
- This is a short, scholarly paper. The assignment should be 3-4 pages in length not including the title page and references page.
- Submit the completed assignment on the Week 5: Assignment page.
Before preparing your assignment, please review this “Crediting Sources Made Simple (Links to an external site.)“ resource. This tool is intended to help you understand scholarly writing, APA, referencing, and crediting. Please reach out to your instructor with any questions as you prepare your assignment.
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.
Note: Please use your browser’s File menu to save or print this page.
American Association of Colleges of Nurses (AACN). (2008). Executive summary: The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice (2008). Retrieved from http://www.aacnnursing.org/Education-Resources/AACN-Essentials
Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN). (2018). QSEN knowledge, skills, and attitude competencies. Retrieved from http://qsen.org/competencies/pre-licensure-ksas/
Research Designs Assignment
According to Melnyk, Fineout, Overholt, Giggleman, and Choy (2017), nursing research facilitates the development of strategies to addressing changes in patient populations, the healthcare environment, and government policies and regulations. It is important for nurses to develop basic skills and to understand principles in nursing research in order to be able to not only learn, and read about research but to also critique and apply and integrate nursing research into their practice through evidence-based practice (EBP). This paper will discuss qualitative and quantitative research by identifying their importance, types, and impact on nursing practice. More so, it will describe research sampling, its importance, and strategies; and credible nursing practice including how research help in increasing the safety of nursing practice and importance of research in the creation of EBP in nursing.
Quantitative research as described by Curtis, Fry, Shaban, and Considine (2017) is the kind of research which uses and produces numerical data that can be collected and analyzed using statistical methods. Quantitative research is highly important in nursing research as it facilitates in the identification of the natural realities, the relationship between certain variables, and their dynamic nature……Please click the icon below to purchase full solution at $10