- Social Media discussions are designed to promote dialogue between faculty and students, and students and their peers using a social media platform as inspiration. In the social media discussions, students:
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
- Research current data through outside sources and social media postings
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates
- Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
- Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
Problems that impact populations are vast and now more than ever social media is getting involved.
- Choose one of the following population health problems to focus on:
- Substance use and/or abuse
- Environmental health (air, water, ground, energy, climate, etc.)
- https://www3.epa.gov/myem/envmap/find.html (Links to an external site.) has a wealth of information
- Research and share an overview of the current data on this population health problem specific to your community. You must use one (or more) of the resources from the Direct Care Project Part 1: Assessment and Diagnosis assignment. The Webliography (link) also has many resources. You may choose to find additional outside source(s).
- Then take a moment to review the Twitter feed for compelling Tweets that may have an impact on or discuss the population health problem.
- Give an overview of any agency, organization, person, or affiliation that is addressing the population health problem.
- How could a community health nurse collaborate with the agency, organization, person, or affiliation address the population health problem?
- Compose a 280-character or fewer Tweet that describes what you have shared with the class. Remember Twitter only allows 280 characters (this includes spaces, etc.) so you will need to be concise. It should include a hashtag. Include the URL to the reference or Tweet if applicable. Share this Tweet in the discussion.
- Note: A Twitter account is not required nor is posting your Tweet on social media.
- Your discussion post should look like:
- Paragraph one: Overview of the current data on this population health problem specific to your community
- Paragraph two: Overview of any agency, organization, person, or affiliation that is addressing the population health problem
- Paragraph three: How could a community health nurse collaborate with the agency, organization, person, or affiliation to address the population health problem?
- Tweet: 280-character or fewer Tweet with hashtag and reference if applicable.
- Resources: Where did you find your data?
- Example Tweet: Your zip code can have more of an impact on your health than your genetic code. Know your stats. #socialdeterminantsofhealth #SDoH #knowyourstats www3.epa.gov/myem/envmap/find.html
My community, New York City (NYC), faces a major challenge with substance use and abuse. According to Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) (2019), the 2015 to 2017 NY state versus national averages of substance use and abuse problems among persons aged 12 years and above are 26.8% vs 28.9% for tobacco use, 14.8% vs 13.9% for marijuana use, 1.7% vs 1.5% for marijuana use disorder, 0.42% vs 0.33% for heroin use, 0.6% vs 0.8% for misuse of prescription pain reliever, 0.6% vs 0.8% for opioid use disorder, 2.6% vs 2.8% for illicit drug use disorder, 6.1% vs 5.8% for alcohol use disorder, and 7.7% vs 7.5% for substance use disorder…..Click link below to purchase full tutorial at $5