This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (POs 4 and 8)
- CO6: Utilize a systems-based and collaborative approach to address factors that influence the health of a community and population health problems. (PO2)
Preparing for disasters, terrorist threats, or communicable disease outbreaks is an important part of public health nursing.
- Share an overview of a natural or human-made disaster that has occurred in your area in the last 20 years.
- Include a URL and reference to the event. This may be a news article.
- Describe how your community was impacted.
- Describe lessons learned and changes made to preparedness.
According to Nies and McEwen (2019), preparing for disasters, terrorist threats, as well as communicable disease outbreaks is one of the most important parts of public health nursing. This is due to the fact that it plays a critical role in minimizing the detrimental impacts of these phenomena. One of the disasters that have recently occurred in my area, New York, is the vehicle-ramming attack in October 2017. This was a form of a mass murder, where the perpetrator, an Islamist terrorist, drove a rented pickup truck into cyclists as well as runners in Lower Manhattan (Fox News, 2017)….Please click the icon below to purchase full solution at $5