Master’s-prepared advanced practice nurses participate in and demonstrate fair and unbiased interactions within all workplace settings. As a member of the nursing profession, and a leader, you are encouraged to implement strategies that promote and cultivate cultures of civility, regardless of practice setting. The purpose of this assessment is to analyze the issue of incivility and apply best practices to cultivate healthful environments.
CO 1: Examine roles and competencies of master’s-prepared nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of holistic, safe, and quality care. (PO 1-5)
CO 2: Apply concepts of person-centered care to nursing practice situations. (PO 1, 2, 5)
CO 3: Analyze essential skills needed to lead within the context of complex systems (PO 3, 4)
Total Points Possible
This assessment is worth 200 points.
Submit your file(s) by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday at the end of Week 7.
Criteria for Content
Reflect on the issue of incivility. Think of an experience in which you were directly involved or witnessed incivility in the workplace. Analyze scholarly literature related to the issue of incivility and strategies for cultivating healthful environments.
- In a four- to six-page written paper, address the following.
- Define and explain the issue of incivility. Use scholarly nursing literature.
- Discuss the importance of this issue to nursing. Address the impact of incivility on individuals, microsystem work environments, and the profession of nursing. In this section, use at least three (3) different scholarly nursing literature in-text citations with matching references.
- Provide a scenario (real or fictitious) of incivility in a practice setting. What was the impact on the individuals involved? How was the work environment affected?
- Describe three strategies for creating a healthful environment. Use scholarly nursing literature to support each strategy.
- Identify your selected specialty track (education, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics). Provide two examples of strategies you will implement in your master’s-prepared advanced practice role to cultivate a healthful work environment.
- Provide a conclusion. Include a summary on the issue of incivility, strategies to create healthful environments, specialty track, and how you will contribute to cultivating healthful environments in your future professional practice. Include a self-reflection.
Cultivating Healthful Environments
In the recent past, there have been increased rates of incivility within healthcare settings. The prominence of the issue has caught the attention of scholars, medical practitioners, as well as policymakers across the country (Gill, 2016). The rising cases of incivility in healthcare facilities in the country have prompted the American Nurses Association (ANA) revising the Code of Ethics for Nurses citing that nurses need to create an ethical environment as well as the culture of civility as well as kindness. According to D’ambra and Andrews, (2014), incivility usually has detrimental impacts on productivity, which in turn compromises the manner in which care is delivered to the patients. Therefore, there is a considerable need for organizations to put in place various strategies aimed at reducing cases of incivility. On this basis, this, this essay is devoted to exploring the issue of incivility and its impact on the nursing practice. The essay also explores strategies that can be put in place in order to cultivate a healthful environment.
Issue of Incivility
Gill (2016) has defined workplace incivility as the deviant behavior of low intensity with an intention of causing harm to the target. This has been echoed by Palumbo (2018), who has asserted that workplace incivility is typically characterized by rudeness and display of lack of regard for others. Common behaviors associated with workplace incivility include mocking co-workers, making unfounded accusations, gossiping, interrupting people, and using demeaning language among others.
According to Lachman (2015), individuals who experience workplace incivility, whether targets or witnesses may suffer various negative psychological, behavioral, and somatic effects. Additionally, threatening as well as disruptive action can result in medical errors and patient dissatisfaction. It can also result in an increase in the cost of care. In most cases, D’ambra and Andrews, (2014) argue that workplace incivility emanates for substantial misunderstandings among medical staff and lack of professionalism. A study conducted by Gill (2016) revealed that the major causes of workplace incivility span from anger and stress owing to the current work environment including job insecurity, increased workload, and unfavorable organizational change. From this point of view, it is with no doubt addressing the root causes of workplace incivility can go a long way in reducing incivility cases in an organization.
Importance to Incivility Nursing
The impact of incivility to nursing practice is considered substantial. Palumbo (2018) has stressed that incivility usually wreaks havoc on the relationships between nurses and workplace morale….please click the icon below to purchase full solution at $10