The purpose of this assignment is:
- Integrate knowledge and skills learned throughout this course
- Direct application of course content to problem solving of chronic population health problems applied to the learner’s geographic area.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
See weekly outcomes from Weeks 1-6.
Due Date: Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 6.
Total Points Possible: 200
This paper should clearly and comprehensively identify the chronic health disease chosen. Select a topic from the following list:
- Depression (Choose population:Adult, Older Adult, Adolescent)
- Attention Deficit Disorder
The paper should be organized into the following sections:
- Introduction with a clear presentation of the problem as well as the significance and a scholarly overview of the paper.
- Background of the disease including definition, description, signs and symptoms, and current incidence and/or prevalence statistics by city/state with a comparison to national statistics pertaining to the disease. Your background presentation should identify vulnerable aggregate populations with associated descriptive epidemiological data. Create a table of incidence or prevalence rates by your geographic county/city or state with a comparison to national statistics. Use the APA text for formatting guidelines.
- A review of current surveillance methods and any mandated reporting or methods for reporting the disease for providers.
- Conduct descriptive epidemiology analysis of the disease including who is more frequently affected and characteristics of the population that might help in creating a prevention plan. Include costs (both financial and social) associated with the disease or problem.
- Review how the disease is diagnosed, current national standards for screening or prevention, and pick one screening test and review its sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, cost and any current national guidelines for conducting which patients to conduct this test on.
- Integrating evidence, provide a plan of how you will address this chronic health disease in your practice once you are finished with school. Provide three specific interventions based on the evidence and include how you will measure outcomes of your actions. Note: Consider primary, secondary, and tertiary interventions as well as integration of health policy advocacy efforts.
- Conclude in a clear manner with a brief overview of the keys points from each section of the paper utilizing evidence-based integration of resources.
- Adhere to all paper preparation guidelines (see below).
Evaluation of Dementia
Despite the fact that the health care standards have improved over the last couple of years, Dementia has been on the rise across all the states in the US. Over the next couple of decades, the number of individual living with dementia is projected to rise. As a result of this increase, more financial burden will be placed on the health care program so as to meet the needs of the patient. In light of this, this paper seeks to analyze Dementia in Texas, its background, current surveillance methods, epidemiological analysis, diagnosis, screening, and how I can address the disease in my practice.
Background and significance of Dementia
Definition and Description
Dementia is an umbrella term that refers to brain diseases that cause the brain cell to die leading to gradual as well as progressive deterioration of the memory. Put simply, Dementia is a broad category of condition that leads to a decline in memory as well as thinking abilities, which makes it difficult for an individual to perform daily activities or functions. Therefore, Dementia is not a disease by itself but rather a broad category that refers to a decline in cognition such as impairment in communication, thinking as well as memory.
Despite the fact that hereditary also causes dementia such as in the case of Alzheimer’s diseases, most dementia is caused by a biological or physical event in a person. Also, risk factors such as age increase a person’s chance of developing dementia. For instance, people above the age of 65 have the greatest risk of developing this disease. In light of this, there are various causes of Dementia. First, neurodegeneration is considered as the main cause of dementia. Neurodegeneration takes into account the breakdown of brain cells, making them to dies. This leads to impairment of mental as well as physical functioning occurs making it hard for an individual to carry out daily functioning (Dementia Care Central 2018). Dementia with Lewy Bodies and Alzheimer’s disease are the two form caused by neurodegeneration. Secondly, cerebrovascular cause such as damage to blood vessels in the brain is also a major cause……Please click the icon below to purchase full solution at $10