- Do a web search to locate the current JNC8 and ACC/AHA guidelines for hypertension.
- Compare and contrast the two sets of guidelines according to the following:
- Define the classes of hypertension (normal, elevated, stage 1 & stage 2) according to each guideline.
- What are the thresholds for initiating treatment?
- What are the treatment goals? (Hint: there may be multiple treatment goals based on certain populations such as diabetics)
- What medications are recommended to treat hypertension in the African American population?
- Discuss why one set of guidelines might be used over the other (i.e., is one superior to the other ?)
|Description||JNC8 (Hernandez-Vila E, 2015).||ACC/AHA: (Bakris, Ali, & Parati, 2019).|
|classes of hypertension||Normal: Less than 120/80 mm Hg;
Prehypertension: Systolic 120-139 mm Hg, diastolic 80-89 mm Hg
Stage 1: Systolic between 140-159 or diastolic between 90-99;
Stage 2: Systolic greater than 160 or diastolic greater than 100 mm Hg;
|Normal: Less than 120/80 mm Hg;
Elevated: Systolic between 120-129 and diastolic less than 80;
Stage 1: Systolic between 130-139 or diastolic between 80-89;
Stage 2: Systolic at least 140 or diastolic at least 90 mm Hg;
Click link below to purchase full tutorial at $10