To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Resources pertaining to alternative therapies.
- Select one of the following areas where alternative therapies are being used:
o Cancer treatment
o Cancer symptom management
o End-of-life care
o Palliative care
- Find at least one scholarly journal article discussing alternative therapies in your chosen subtopic.
By Day 3
Respond to the following:
- Identify at least one challenge associated with the nurse’s role in providing alternative therapies for patient care.
- Explain how the nurse might integrate the use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) approaches in your chosen subtopic and discuss the ethical issues nurses may face.
- What are the main elements you would include in a teaching plan for nurses on the use of CAM in your chosen subtopic?
- What is the shared role of the nurse and patient in developing care plans?
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies are increasingly being used by patients with cancer in palliative as well as post-cancer preventive and wellness care. The identified article discussing the use of CAM therapies in cancer treatment is “Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in cancer patients: An Italian multicenter survey” by Berretta et al. (2017). CAM therapies for cancer treatment include a broad range of products such as vitamins, minerals, herbs, and probiotics as well as medical practices such as magneto-therapy and acupuncture. CAM therapies are referred to as “complementary” when used in combination with conventional medications and “alternative” when used as a substitute for conventional medications (Loquai et al., 2017)….Please click the icon below to purchase the full solution at $5