Imagine that some of your colleagues mention using cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and reality therapy. Your colleagues continue to say that based on their experiences, they really like these therapies and that they appear to work. Your instincts also tell you that perhaps they might be helpful for your client in your case study. However, from Week 1, you recall that experiences and instincts as sources of knowledge are quite limited because they are biased. Instead, it is important to utilize existing research and data to support your choices of interventions. Theory helps inform the evidence-based practice process that should guide social workers’ practice.
In this Discussion, you examine the research related to a therapy based on cognitive or cognitive behavior theory to determine its effectiveness.
- Recall the client from the case study you have been using in this course. You will apply your research for this Discussion to that client.
- Select one therapy from the following: cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, or reality therapy.
- Conduct a search in the Walden Library for one peer-reviewed research study about the effectiveness of the therapy you selected.
- Note: You must select a study that has not already been used by a colleague in the Discussion. Each student is required to identify a unique research study.
- Remember when looking for studies to take into account your client’s age and developmental stage and presenting problem.
By Day 3
- Provide the reference for the study you found using APA guidelines.
- Briefly paraphrase, in 2 to 3 sentences, the methodological context (i.e., research method, how data was collected, and the instruments used) of the study and the findings.
- Evaluate the findings in terms of its applicability or appropriateness for the client in your case study.
- Determine whether you would use or not use the therapy you selected for the client in your selected case study (consider how culturally relevant it is, how aligned it is with social work ethics, etc.) and explain why.
The article selected is the study by Moreno et al.(2020), which sought to explore the efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy(CBT) in patients who have suffered emotional distress for many years after a terrorist attack. The researcher identified the victim of terrorism and conducted a face-to-face interview in which 88 victims were diagnosed with PTSD anxiety disorder, or depressive disorder according to criteria of the DSM IV. 31 of the victims completed the treatment. The treatment provided was CBT-focused which was based on the prolonged exposure therapy for the victims with PTSD. Therapy consisted of weekly sessions for 60 minutes each. Data was collected through clinical structured interviews and a PTSD Checklist. After 1 year of treatment and follow-up, the study found that the percentage of the patients with PTSD who presented to treatment reduced Click link below to purchase full tutorial at $5